The term most pivotal to our online experience these days is‘Network Security.’
Acunetix is an automated web application security testing and ethical hacking tool. Macchanger is an awesome tool used to change interface’s MAC Address. It is used mostly to evade MAC filtering on routers and also to stay anonymous. Your device’s MAC Address is its identity, it can be used to locate you or to detect your on the internet, so it’d better be changed. To change your MAC Address, type.
Network security can be defined as the set of policies and rules implemented by the network administrator to avoid unauthorized personnel from gaining access to the network and blocking viruses and malware that may put the system at risk.
Among the many procedures taken by network administrators, one of the critical parts of network security revolves around ‘Network Scanning.’
14 Best Network IP Scanning Tools
A NetworkScanning Tool is any software tool that is used for diagnostic purposes orto run security tests on a network system.
Among the arsenal of tools available for network scanning,the best network scanners that will help you protect your network to theirpotential are as follows:
Acunetix is a network scanner that detects, and reports of about 50,000 know vulnerabilities.
It’s key features include:
- Does a security test for routers, firewalls,switches, load balancers, as well as other components of a network.
- Acunetix discovers open ports and runningservices.
- Acunetix searches for problems such as poorlyconfigured Proxy servers, weak passwords, weak SNMP community strings, TLS/SSLciphers through a detailed analysis of the system.
- It provides a comprehensive perimeter networkaudit.
- Acunetix is free for one year of its use, whichmakes it pretty affordable too.
Wiresharkis a popular network scanner which has the following features:
- Wireshark is an open source network scanner.
- It can work on an active or live network,between the client and the server.
- Users can view the network traffic and followthe stream.
- Wireshark shows the users the stream of trafficconstruction of the TCP session.
- Wireshark can run on multiple Operating systemsincluding Linux, Windows, etc.
- The only drawback of using Wireshark is that inthe past, it has suffered from Remote Security Exploitation.
According to its website, OpenVASis a full-featured vulnerability scanner. It’s key features are:
- OpenVAS is completely free to use.
- OpenVAS can be integrated with OpenVulnerability Assessment Language (OVAL) to write new security tests.
- OpenVAS provides a vast range of scan options,including Full Scan, WordPress Scan and Web server scan.
- Perhaps the only flaw in the design of Open VASis that its Security Scanner only runs on Linux.
4- Angry IP Scanner:
Angry IP Scanner is a fast and open sourcenetwork scanning tool, with the following features:
- Angry IP Scanner scans the IP address, as well as performinga port scan.
- It provides thorough reports on the flaws in the network invarious formats, such as XML, CSV, Txt, etc.
- The report provided by Angry IP Scanner is precise andincludes information on many things such as the hostname, computer name,NetBIOS, MAC address,workgroup information, etc.
- Unlike othernetworking tools, Angry IP Scanner provides a separate thread for eachindividual IP address.
Nikto is an opensource web server scanner, with the following features:
- Nikto provides rapid testing to identify anysuspicious activity in the network.
- It provides Full HTTP proxy support.
- It provides reports in various formats such asXML, HTML, and CSV.
- Scanning features of Nikto are updatedregularly.
- Nikto scans HTTP servers, as well as web serverconfigurations.
6-Advanced IP Scanner:
Advanced IPscanner is an advanced network scanner, with the following features:
- Advanced IP Scanner is an open source networkscanning tool that runs on Windows.
- It is free for use.
- It can scan devices, connected to a network-including wireless devices.
- Advanced IP Scanner performs many functions suchas remote access, remote wake-on-LAN, and quick shut down, etc.
- It allows services such as Viz. HTTPS, RDP, etc.and FTP services.
Qualysis a free and open source network scanning tool that detects flaws in thenetwork system. It’s key features are:
- Qualys scans URLs, IPs and local servers todetect any loophole in the security of a network.
- Qualys offers three types of scans for multiplevulnerabilities, such as vulnerabilitychecks, OWASP, and SCAP tests.
- Qualys detects and helps users get rid ofsecurity patches.
- Perhaps the only drawback of using Qualys isthat it only allows ten free tests, and cannot be used for free in the longrun.
Nmap is an advanced networkscanning tool that enables users to scan ports with great intricacy. It has thefollowing features:
- Nmap maps the network, and it ports numerically,which is why it is also known as ‘The Port Scanning Tool.’
- Nmap integrates NSE-Nmap Scripting Engine whichdetects network security issues.
- Nmap checks for the availability of hosts byanalyzing the IP packets.
- It includes many additional utilities such as Zenmap with advanced GUI, Ndiff for computer scan and NPing for Response Analysis.
- It is free and available for use.
9- Retina Network Security Scanner:
RetinaNetwork Security Scanner, by beyond trust, is a network scanner that worksacross multiple platforms. It has the following key features:
- Along with network scanning, Retina providessecurity fixes to Microsoft, Adobe and Firefox applications.
- It provides risk assessment based on optimalnetwork performance, applications and Operating System, etc.
- It is free to use and provides security patchesfor up to 256 IPs.
- Retina allows the user to select the type ofreport delivery, that is, the format.
SoftPerfectNetwork Scanner offers its users advanced features, including amulti-thread approach to scanning. Other features include:
- SoftPerfect Network Scanner provides detailed information such as hostname, MAC address and details regarding the LAN connection.
- It collects information regarding the local and external IP address.
- SoftPerfect analyses the working of a network and identifies any problems with the devices associated.
- It also checks for the availability of a network.
- SoftPerfect flourishes in a multi-protocol environment.
Nessusis a commercial vulnerability scanner that performs a multitude of functionssuch as:
- It is available in three versions, Nessus Home,Nessus Professional, and Nessus Manager/Nessus Cloud, to fulfill differentrequirements for different users.
- Although Nessus is mainly a commercial software,a free version is available for download.
- Nessus provides a timely vulnerabilityassessment to its users.
- It has built-in plugins which allow it to detectover 50,000 vulnerabilities.
- Nessus has a web-based interface which allows itto perform local and external checks.
Snort is an open sourcenetwork scanning tool with the following features:
- Snort is free for use.
- It analyses the IP address, along with thetraffic passing through the network.
- Snort quickly detects vulnerabilities such as worm,port scan via content searching and protocol analysis.
- Snort utilizes Modular Detection Engine andBasic Analysis along with Security Engine (BASE) to define and describe networktraffic.
Just like Nessus, Nexpose is a commercialnetwork scanner tool, with the following available functions:
- A free version of Nexpose is available in theform of its Community Edition.
- Nexpose scans network, operating systems,application database, etc.
- It can be installed onto Windows and Linux, aswell as Virtual Machines.
OpenSSH(Secure Shell) is a network scanner with the following functions:
- OpenSSH creates a secure connection over anunsafe network link, by encrypting it.
- OpenSSH is fully dedicated to the UNIXenvironment.
- OpenSSH utilizes the Premier Connectivity Tool,which encrypts all the network traffic and increases the security of the network.
- It provides SSH tunneling, serverauthentication, and secure network configuration.
What is Network Scanning?
Network Scanning refers to many processes, all of which aredesigned to point out the flaws in a network system.
Network scanning is also sometimes referred to as portscanning, in which data packets are sent to a particular port number.
The processes covered by Network Scanning are:
- Identifying the filtering systems in placebetween two active networks.
- Running TCP and UDPnetwork services.
- Detecting the TCP sequence number of both of thehosts involved.
The procedures are mainly utilized in network maintenance;however, hackers can corrupt the network, and use network scanning for theirbenefit.
Now that you know all about networks and how easy it is tocorrupt a system, you need to make sure that you have a robust network scanningtool to rely on.
Nikto Tool For Mac Software
All you need to do is to pick one from the arsenal ofchoices provided above!